Setup Your SPF record, this is critical!
PeopleVine currently uses SendGrid as their backbone for sending e-mails outbound from our platform. They have provided an article on how you can ensure your messages do not go to the SPAM or Junk Mail folder for your customers.
Make sure you setup your SPF record for sendgrid.net. See this tutorial for more information: https://sendgrid.com/docs/Glossary/spf.html. You may need someone on your IT team to complete this activity.
Set the Host to @ and the TXT Value to below.
In simple terms you need to setup or add to your TXT record the following:
v=spf1 mx a ptr ip4:188.8.131.52 include:sendgrid.net include:email.peoplevine.com include:email.peoplevine.net ~all
If you currently have an SPF record setup, please ensure our ip4 and include statements are part of your SPF record by copying the following before the ~all text. For example:
ip4:184.108.40.206 include:sendgrid.net include:email.peoplevine.com include:email.peoplevine.net
Prepare for DKIM Setup
Setting up a Domain Key (DKIM) you further identify your e-mails that they came securely from your server. In your DNS, we recommend you setup the following DNS entries:
- CNAME - Host: sender - URL: sender.peoplevine.net
- CNAME - Host: s1._domainkey - URL: s1._domainkey.peoplevine.net
- CNAME - Host: s2._domainkey - URL: s2._domainkey.peoplevine.net
Once you have this in place, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org to setup your DKIM. Simply provide us with the email address your emails are being sent from.
Add a DMARC Record
The DMARC record provides an additional level of authentication by telling the email providers to either accept my emails or reject them based on the SPF and DKIM in place. Please note that setting this up incorrectly (or forgetting to add the correct SPF and DKIM) can cause your emails to go right to SPAM. To setup your DMARC, do this:
- TXT - Host: _dmarc - TXT Value: v=DMARC1; p=none
If you are interested in more restrictive handling, change the p=none to p=quarantine or p=reject.
How do I test my emails for SPAM?
There are many websites out there that can check for your emails going to spam. Since, SpamAssassin is one of the larger SPAM authorities out there, we recommend you using a SPAM checker that has this incorporated. Personally we use Mail Tester which provides some good detail on what to fix.
How does PeopleVine prevent emails from going to SPAM?
Out of the box, we have added several items to our outgoing marketing and transaction emails to ensure that SPAM filters do not block messages. This includes:
- We automatically create a TEXT version along with an HTML version of your outgoing email.
- We include a list-unsubscribe header for all marketing emails which makes it easier for people to unsubscribe vs. reporting it as SPAM.
- We added ALT tags to included images (but make sure you do this for yours too).
- We use long URLs for all links, so please avoid using short URLs.
- Our padding and tracking is lightweight, so your messages are small.
- We include your company name, address and other contact info in the footer automatically.
Need more help?
There are some good tutorials out there to help prevent your messages from going to SPAM, but the most important one is DO NOT buy lists, make sure people subscribe to you directly.
SendGrid also published a nice article, so follow the best practices in this article to minimize the SPAM effect: https://sendgrid.com/blog/10-tips-to-keep-email-out-of-the-spam-folder/